whole company banner  

 

5th Hull Company

 
  
 

 
 

 
History

The 5th Hull Company was formed in 1934, just a few months after the opening of Derringham Bank Methodist Church. It quickly became known as one of the largest companies in the area and continued to grow even in the war, when officers who were in reserved occupations served it. After the war, it had a Company Section of 50 boys with almost as many in the Life Boys (now in the Junior Section). It won many Battalion Competitions and was described by the Chaplain of 1945- 50 “as the best Boys’ Brigade Company in the North of England.”

Many of the members of that era, 1945- 60, went on to serve the church and Boys’ Brigade in a variety of roles and one of the ‘old boys’ represented Great Britain in the 1956 Melbourne Olympics. We have produced two Ministers and a number of Local Preachers. Members of the Staff have held a number of Battalion posts.

In the sporting field we have had success on the football field in both at 11-a-side and 5-a-side. On two occasions we have represented Hull in the Yorkshire District competition and went on to represent Yorkshire in the North of England Championships where we finished third. We also reached the semi-finals of the National Chess Competition from over 400 entries.

In the 1960’s, we were able to camp on a remote Scottish Island for a fortnight and throughout the years have also supported the Battalion Camps. We joined the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme when it started and several boys have been to Buckingham Palace to receive Gold Awards.

Ray Pugmire (Former Captain)